Monday, August 31, 2009

See your linux box on your wireless network

I got new wireless router, and I wanted to make sure I can use machine names to ping other computers on the network. In my setup, I have windows, linux and macosx machines, and I was never able to really ping them by name on local wireless network. That is really an annoying thing, so... I decided to resolve it.

My new setup:
1. DD-WRT enabled router.

2. I setup DNS server to serve local network, and to expand local names by specifying additonal options:
local=/local/
expand-hosts


This almost worked... i.e. I was able to ping Windows machine from all three, I was able to ping MacOSX from all three machines, but Windows was unable to ping Linux.
After trying to figure out what is wrong I learned that you have to install samba, as nmbd is actually responsible with registering Linux with Windows.

I hope you will find this helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment