Sunday, November 15, 2009

Windows 7 on Acer TravelMate C110

introduction
I got Acer travel mate Tablet PC. This is a great little workhorse - it has 900MHz CPU that is on par with most of the Atom's out there, so I find little reason to even consider getting a netbook.

My Acer was running Windows XP Table PC edition. I wasn't even thinking of upgrading it to Windows Vista (as it did not have enough resources), but with all the hype that Windows 7 is optimized operating systems - I was thinking - let's give it a try!

First, let's go with the setup of Acer - it has 1.25GB of memory, thereby passing a requirement for more than 1GB of RAM. It has 900MHz CPU, barely below 1GHz minimum, and I upgraded it with 80GB/5400 PATA drive that works just fine.



As you can see from "Windows Experience Index" the slowest part of the setup is graphics, but given that I don't plan to play first person shooters on it - it's just fine!

install
Acer does not have DVD drive, so I used USB key to boot Windows installation.
I installed clean install of Windows 7 on the machine (I upgraded HDD before installing Windows 7, so there was no point of transfering XP over first).
Machine booted in safe graphics mode, and it was missing some of the drivers.

network
First I installed network drivers - it turns out one can install Intel 2100b drivers for XP on Windows 7. It turns out you can 'force' windows to use XP's driver. So I downloaded latest driver from Intel's site and forced Windows 7 to accept Intel drivers although it complained a lot!

This was not enough to get Windows 7 to start using networking adapter, and after some agony I remembered that friend of mine mentioned that Acer has stupidest software button that turns of wireless adapter. Linux has a app that can be used to flip the software switch, as button in itself is dead and wireless if off (remember that wireless is on only when red LED is turned on).

After trying to install most of the original Acer utilities I figured that I may need to return back to XP as Notebook Manager throws exceptions almost on any click. After a bit of frustration I noticed that 'Launch manager' althrough it does not help with the button has an option 'Wireless Device Boot Status' and it can be turned on.


This saved the day! Now networking works.

sleep & graphics
Acer is not functional, so let's see what is next issue on the list. Mysteriously Acer does not want to sleep. It just wants to hibernate or shut down. This is a bit of annoying as using XP I could just close the lid and it would sleep fine.

Another set of frustrating explorations led to the command that will list sleep states, and what prevents system from falling a sleep. Results of this command suggested that the issue is in graphics adapter that was generic VESA and as such it didn't know anything about sleeping.

It turns out that Intel didn't provide support for 855 chipset - can you blaim them? Chipset is about quite old and they would like us to buy new ones. Installing 915 drivers didn't work, but using XDDM mode of 855 drivers (produced for Vista) worked just well enough to get my machine to accept driver, and to be able to happily fall asleep.


Now finally sleep worked fine! Awesome!

not much sleep for the wary
While sleep would be really cool and I would enjoy it - it had one drawback. Remember network? And that stupid button? Well, if you sleep machine, on wake up network does not wake up.
So I just hibernate my Acer when I'm done using it.

conclusion
Windows 7 works well on Acer C110. It is an awesome little machine. Sleep does not work well, but most of the other functions are just fine. I also like how Windows 7 improved tablet functionality - hand writing recognition is way better than before.


31 comments:

  1. help... I still cannot get my wireless network to work on my C110! I amusing windows 7. My email is enchan0213@hotmail.com if you can help. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... ehchan0213@hotmail.com...

    Thanks!!! it doesn't recognize my network controller in the device manager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have laptop any more, but I think you can set it up in the BIOS.
      Also, sleep does not help, so you'll need to reboot to reactivate.

      Delete
  3. hey i hv c111 its similar to your laptop but it has a 1000ghz processor i wanna noe how u upgraded ur ram and which ram u hv buyed mine is only 512mb ram contact me on ahuja.services@gmail.com thxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Thanks for the tips. I cant get the screen to rotate. Any tips? Maybe that video driver you mentioned, where can I get it?
    Thanks!
    BNB
    bnbowes at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ola amigo gostaria que se possivel vc me mandase um tutorial de como posso instalar o driver de video no meu c110 a rede ja ta legal so falta audio e video nao consigo nem joga paciencia.e o som so acessa modo fone de ouvido e por isso sai um som muito baixo. desde ja agradeço muito.

    ReplyDelete
  6. se puder me manda no email susuk.cleber@hotmail.com.
    obrigado.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Erica

    I was able to get it to work ONLY if I hibernated and resumed the laptop. When I sleep laptop it turns wifi off and does not want to turn it back on again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To @bnbowes, I have not tried to rotate screen. I'll let you know if I can do it.
    Bdw. Did you try using display preferences?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Others
    I don't quite understand what you are asking as I don't speak spanish, so ... post comments in english.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so whats the trick? I cant get the wifi driver installed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    could you please give any hint how to get the video driver ?
    Thanks,
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  12. I installed windows 7... tried to get it to work...

    and EVERYTHING worked except the video driver, the sound driver and the wifi/bluetooth driver.

    the wifi/bluetooth button no longer works and even after downloading the launch manager... the wifi still does not work.

    what drivers should i be using?
    i tried the ones from acer's support site for c110... but they were for XP and i have no idea how to "force" windows 7 to accept these drivers.

    please help!

    i had to re-install xp... and when i did this... i lost my tablet functionality... so i really want windows 7...

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello people!

    Finally I run the graphics in Windows 7. Use this link to help me http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/3128-intel-82852-82855-gm-gme-graphics-controller-driver-issues-7.html , all problems are here resolved.
    The driver version that works properly is Intel 6.14.10.4656. Although we have to go into msconfig to check a box to avoid blue screen when starting up, just find the solution in post number 66.
    Sorry for the translation.

    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello everybody, i'm a new owner of a c110 acer and i followed your guide to install win7.
    it installed eveything except wifi and bluetooth because...i don't know!!!!how could i do? if somebody could help me please vrite to daniele.brescia81@virgilio.it
    thank's
    daniele

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had some problem with my computer, but the most bigger problem was that i missed the drivers, so i needed to looking information by internet. Finally i reached an information that advised me download by the web a software driver. this information will help me a lot, very useful. actually i found a site interesting called costa rica investment opportunities i think it is useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the wireless network help.
    I now cant seem to get the C110 to switch to an external monitor. It doesnt recognise it when I use fn/F5 or win/P. If I boot the machine, with the monitor plugged in, it shows the bootup and login screen and then seems to be trying something but never comes up. It must be some kind of driver problem but I'm not sure where to start?
    Any help much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. somebody still here? this machine rocks on windows 7 with tablet... i got the video to work beautifully, even though it won't rotate it will display on external monitor, etc. however, i can not for the life of me get the wireless network card to work. how do you force win7 to use winxp driver? anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello brothers ..im using acer travelmate c110 with 900mhz n 768mb ram.before i was using xp but after seeing posts here i without a 2nd thought installed win7 in it..its really looking cool but win7 is running my graphics sounds with its default drivers..i want to update my drivers and my wireless too needs win7 drivers.can anyone plz say where can i find all drivers that can run on win7 for my laptop.its beena week im searching but not able to find anywhere .plz help.my mail id is ki.shiraz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Windows 7 drivers are not available for Acer's network card. I was running driver install and it complained that I'm attempting to install a wrong version of the drivers, but it accepted installing wireless drivers after I said it's OK and 'Continue Anyway'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi; I've just updated my C111Tci to Windows 7 & am pretty pleased with it, BUT .... has anybody got the Tablet Buttons (the ones on the clamshell) to work? I'd prefer to re-map them as I'll basically be using the little guy as a Comic Book Reader :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am trying to get 7 working on my C110. I can't seem to get the wireless to turn on, and video controller drivers to work. Can anyone help me? Please e-mail me dannyguy78@hotmail.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, I got wireless working by enabling it in BIOS. I'll look into it and try to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. tablet buttons on the screen work fine if you install Tabutton from the acer driver website.

    to get the buttons above the keyboard (INCLUDING wireless on/off button) working, uninstall launch manager, then set compatibility options on setup.exe to windows xp (SP2) and launch as administrator, and install as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks KLEBESTIFT for the tip, installing launch manager solved the wireless sleep problem!!!!
    my setup:
    -for audio I installed the realtek AC97 for win 7 from realtek websute. Default drivers didn't mute and show as headphones
    -for video I found a guide to make 855gm video drivers work in win7 just google for 855gm windows 7
    -installing latest synaptics drivers I got also 2finger vertical scrolling!!!!! but sometimes the mouse freeze and you have to wait couple of seconds to get it back working
    -for wireless adapter I used the intel vista drivers and worked fine

    Windows 7 on acer c110 it's great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maybe you can help, I have the travelmate c110 and im trying to install Windows 8. When i do it says the computer needs PAE (physical address extension). Any ideas how to bypass this?

    Thank you so much,
    email me: matthew.slim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PAE is a feature of the processor. I suspect it is impossible to run Windows 8 on C110. On the other hand it is an old device, and performance probably would not be very good anyway.

      Delete
    2. Performance would be par to an Atom netbook and mine's better than a galaxy tab. And up to the public beta, PAE wasn't required and windows 8 worked on this machine. Furthermore, the feature is only used for bios protection, a new feature that the PC never had anyway, so it shouldn't be needed. The feature could just have been disabled.

      Delete
  27. It should run Windows 8 just as good as Windows 7, some say better.

    There is no known workaround as of yet.

    It's slightly different than yours, but I checked my C111 vs these requirements and it was only the NX bit missing, I believe. Which they added the NX bit check only in the last version before release, so up to a point it should have been working. It wouldn't have been used for any Windows 8 feature on our tablets anyway, so the only effect of the NX bit check is that it stops installation/reboot.

    The Travelmates have old, but proper CPUs unlike todays netbooks and tablets. Insert a small SSD, and it's quite acceptable when it comes to office class application performance. My tablet PC browser is way, way faster than my Samsung Abdroid Galaxy Tab browser. Also, it's a PC, with full multitasking, physical keyboard, etc. It'd be a shame to toss the better tool just because of software support...

    It has held up remarkably well, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything works based on th tips. Only the Synaptics touchpad won't work. Can anyone tell me the driver name which was used?

    ReplyDelete